The family Egg Nog recipe is as an important a tradition to my family as things like christmas tree decorations and Christmas carols are to most families. Egg Nog Season officially begins on my Aunt’s birthday on November 21st (a few days before Thanksgiving) and ends promptly on January 1st. During this time, it is advised that any and all Christmas activities such as wrapping presents, baking holiday treats, addressing holiday cards, etc) be accompanied by a small cup of nog topped with freshly ground nut meg.
Although my family egg nog recipe is incredibly delicious, I have a hard time drinking much of it because of the dairy and refined sugar content. So this year, I set out to make a egg-free, vegan alternative to the family recipe. And although it doesn’t compare to the OG, I am extremely happy with how it turned out. The classic family egg nog contains booze and so does my vegan alternative. However, I usually set a side a portion of the nog before I add the booze because it’s delicious to add to coffee or mix into oatmeal in the AM.
One last change to the family eggnog recipe is trifecta of booze in my version. The fam recipe calls for dark rum & bourbon – a delicious combination in it’s own right! However, I recently stumbled upon a gem of a spirt called (ginger) SNAP from “Art In The Age”. This unique 80 proof spirit was inspired by a medieval recipe invented by German Monks in the 13th century. It contains blackstrap molasses, ginger, vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, rooibos tea, and pure cane sugar – the perfect complement to dark rum and bourbon and a great finishing touch to my MegNog!
I hope you like! Cheers to creamy boozey holiday cheer!
- 2 cups raw almonds or cashews
- 8 cups filtered water, divided
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 6 dates
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1.5 cups bourbon (I use Bulleit) - Optional
- 1/2 cup dark rum (I use Myer's) - Optional
- 1/2 cup ginger snap certified organic neutral spirits (I use Art In The Age) - Optional
- Soak almonds or cashews in 4 cups filtered water and a dash of salt overnight or at least 8 hours
- Rinse thoroughly and drain. Place nuts in blender with 4 cups of fresh water and a dash of salt. Blend until very smooth.
- If using almonds, strain the milk through a fine-mesh sieve, a nut milk bag, or doubled cheesecloth.
- Return milk to blender and add remaining ingredients. If there is too much liquid for blender, leave a portion to the side and combine later.
- Store in a glass container.
- Let the flavors meld before serving (8 hours) but if you can't wait, you can serve immediately.
- Best when topped with freshly ground nut meg.