Mega Moist Banana Muffins
Are you one of those people who hate the word moist? Comment below and suggest another name for these delicious treats. But, I think if you actually try them, you'll see the name is spot on!
Don't throw those brown bananas away! This is an easy recipe for super moist banana bread muffins without any dairy. I like to put these in my jersey on long bike rides for a energy packed treat.
- 2 tablespoons flax meal + 6 tablespoons water; plus 2 teaspoons flax meal for sprinkling over the top of muffins, if desired
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup vanilla protein powder (I used Sunshine Protein)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups mashed overripe bananas (about 4 medium bananas)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 10 drops of liquid stevia
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries or 1/2 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12-cup standard-size muffin tin with paper liners. Or, grease using coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons flax meal and 6 tablespoons water. Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas. Stir in the coconut sugar, stevia, applesauce, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and flax/water combination.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Add blueberries or chocolate chips (optional)
- Stir just until the ingredients are incorporated. Batter will be thick.
- Divide batter between 12 muffin cups.
- Sprinkle remaining 2 teaspoons flax meal over the tops.
- Bake for 18 - 22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place tin on a rack to cool for about five minutes. Transfer individual muffins to a wire rack to let cool completely.
Adapted from kitchentreaty.com
Never Last Run http://www.neverlastrun.com/